Opening up multiple cygwin windows or windows command prompt has annoyed almost every developer who had to do it. This post presents a way to open tabbed cygwin and windows command prompt using Console (http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/) . Here are the steps:
- Download console2 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/.
- Unzip it and launch console.exe. This should open up a window that allows opening up of multiple tabs.
- To use console2 for Cygwin do the following:
- Copy the console2 directory to, say, cygwin-console. (so if your console2 installation is at C:/Program Files/Console2, create a C:/Program Files/Cygwin-Console)
- Open up Console.exe from Cygwin-Console directory.
- Go to Edit->Settings and select console from the left menu.
- On the right you should see a text box whose label says ‘Shell’. Type in “C:cygwinbinbash.exe –login”. (The cygwin path should correspond to your cygwin installation).
- You could optionally enter “Startup dir”.
- Make sure you Dont select ‘Save settings to user directory”, otherwise the original console application will also point to cygwin. The purpose of this tutorial is to present a way to open both windows command prompt and cygwin in multiple tabs on the same computer.
1 thought on “Tabbed window for Cygwin and Windows command prompt”
No need to duplicate the directory to setup a new console config. It is possible to create new console configs via Edit > Settings > Tabs.